There is a lot of info we could throw at you at once, but that wouldn’t be very helpful. Rather than giving you an overwhelming list of info you might forget, here are the top things you need to know before you go to Universal Studios. Be sure to check this page often for new updates!
- Go Single: Two of the biggest attractions: Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit and Revenge of the Mummy offer Single Rider lines. If you don’t mind having your party split up, take advantage of the Single Rider line. This will cut your wait time down on a busy day, and you may even get lucky and be able to ride with your party anyway!
- Side Entrance: To avoid long lines at the front, you can enter and leave the park by going to the side entrance near Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit. To enter, take the sidewalk that has signs bringing you to Blue Man Group. You will find a Universal employee standing at a cart with a scanner. Entering and leaving through there cuts down on walking time and makes your trip more efficient.
- Get Some Coolation: Looking for a free and fun way to cool off during your time in the park? Visit the Coca Cola station right outside Men in Black. Step into the
outline of a Coke bottle inside a red pod and the coolation will begin. A nice mist will descend on you. You’ll know the misting is done when you hear “Coolation Achieved”. It’s one of our favorite spots to stop and cool off!
- Refillable Mug: If you’re looking to save money on drinks while in the park, we suggest buying the refillable Coke Freestyle mug. If you want to learn more about the Coke Freestyle mug, click here. If you don’t want to spend the money for a mug, you can buy a bottle of water and then refill the bottle with water for free at the Coke Freestyle machines. Universal does offer free water cups, however they are ridiculously tiny.
- Hogwarts Express: If you are planning on visiting both Universal parks, you can take the Hogwarts Express over to Islands of Adventure. We recommend riding the H.E. both ways because there is a different experience leaving Universal Studios from when you enter Universal Studios from Islands of Adventure.
- Revenge of the Mummy: One of our favorites. This indoor roller coaster took the place of Kongfrontation (one of the greats), and while this is very sad, we couldn’t live without some Mummy in our lives. Explore an ancient Egyptian dig site that has experienced a recent awakening. If you make it through, you just might get to meet Brendan Fraser! Add this ride to your must-do list.
- E.T. Adventure: A classic – this ride has been open since 1990. Both the ride and movie are part of our childhood memories. This is a dark ride where you board a bike and attempt to fly E.T. back to Green Planet to save his friends. If you have never experienced this ride, you must. If it’s been a while, go refresh your memory because honestly we don’t know how long we can expect this ride to remain.
- Men in Black: This is a super fun ride where you are recruited into the MIB to defend the world. However, you must go through training first. Each passenger gets a laser gun to shoot the different aliens you encounter for points and your points as a group will determine if you get recruited. Whatever you do, don’t push the red button! (Actually, yes, push the red button when it lights up!)
- Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit: This is a legit coaster but bonus, you get to pick your ride soundtrack! There are 5 categories of songs: classic rock, club and electronica, country, rap and hip-hop, and pop and disco. Riding in the front on this one is the only way to go.
- Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts: The newest addition to Universal Studios and a very popular one. This is a dark ride and we must say, the ride technology is pretty amazing. Lines can get long for this so hit this ride as close to park opening as possible.
- Simpsons, just outside food court: We like this bathroom because there is plenty of room and the location is convenient to the Simpsons Land food court but also somewhat off the main path. It’s also great to go wash up after devouring a Krusty Burger.
- Gotham Ice, next to the Irish Shop: This bathroom is just down the road from the Mummy and this one is a hidden gem. It’s on the side of the building, so most people pass right by it and head for another bathroom that isn’t far away. The bathroom is large, so combine that with minimal foot traffic and you’ve got a treaure of a bathroom.
- Music Plaza: You will find this bathroom tucked away next to the large music stage in front of Rip Ride Rockit. It’s in the same building as Twister, but it’s towards the back of the building, facing the grassy area for the stage. Not many people know about this one, except for when concerts are going on.
- Mel’s Drive-In: Like a typical diner, but better! You get the 50’s music, the burgers and fries, and the milkshakes, along with a special Universal touch that makes you feel more like you’re in a 50’s movie! We definitely recommend making a plan to eat here if you haven’t before.
- Simpsons Land: The food court here provides a variety of food and the seating areas are themed after some favorite Simpsons landmarks and locations. To learn more about this eatery, check out our blog post here.
- Monster Cafe: A great quick service option near the front of the park. They offer chicken, pizza, burgers, and salads. The restaurant is themed after some of Universal’s classic horror films – which means the inside is dark. We like this option on an especially hot, sunny day when we need a cold, dark break!
- Leaky Cauldron: A great quick service option that immerses you into the world of Harry Potter! Along with cottage pie, fish & chips, and bangers and mash, you can also get some Butterbeer to finish out the meal!
- Universal Studios Store: Your one-stop shop for all things Universal merch. The store is large and has quite a selection, but be prepared to navigate through some crowds on busier days. It’s located right at the front of the park, so it’s a perfect spot to pick up any last minute gifts before you head out.
- Super Silly Stuff (Minions): Minion Mayhem feeds into this shop, which gives you a chance to peruse the Minion souvenirs. A lot of the items in this store are really cute, so just buy the fluffy unicorn and head out.
- Kwik-E-Mart: Need a dancing Homer? How about a Duff mug? This is your place to get some sweet Simpsons gear. Plus, outside you can pose with everyone’s favorite nerd, Milhouse.
- Diagon Alley: There are too many shops to name, we’d just overwhelm you, but the whole area is worth checking out. Also be sure to hang out around the dragon for a bit to see him breathe his fire!